We currently have about 60 members - we have no limit on quantity, just quality. We like to have fun in an inclusive, relaxed and fun environment.
With a chorus that meets infrequently there is strong sense of of personal responsibility to learning and a commitment towards attanedance:
1) Rehearsals - 4 to 6 per year normally all day (10-4) on a Sunday. There might be the odd Saturday instead of a Sunday but that’s rare. Our primary base is currently Fonthill Primary School, Ascot Road, Southmead, Bristol.
2) Personal rehearsal time - as much as you like in your own time. This is important time as we do like people to come to rehearsal music down and knowing the notes. It means we can concentrate on refining the sound & performance, rather than learning notes. And this allows us to make the most of our rehearsal time.
3) Shows & convention - we normally attend the BABS convention (in May) every year and we would look to be on stage possibly 2 or 3 times over the rest of the year. We are not seeking to replace the singing that people get with their other choruses. This chorus is about supplementing what they already have at a very high quality.
4) Repertoire - we're always building on this, concentrating mainly on the barbershop style.. Barbershop voicing from the top is tenor, lead, baritone, bass. If you do decide to audition our MDs can help you with choosing the best voice part for you if you are unsure.
5) We run an audition process which requires two elements to be completed and passed by you - a written application form and a voice singing recording:
- The application form is straightforward and not only gathers some basic personal details but, as we are a Bristol based chorus, we are keen for all members to have a strong link to Bristol (be that family singing with TBM or you living/working in Bristol or you singing with another Bristol based chorus etc) and therefore the form simply summarises your connection and ensures we retain the Bristol identity.
- The voice recording will be one you do in your own time to one of our current repertoire songs and will be assessed in detail by a member of our music team. Full details will be sent to you.
Upon audition success we would be in contact again to give you more details of annual subs and rehearsal dates.
This is a great time to join TBM. People are on a high and keen to push the chorus forward to even greater heights.
If you would like to become a part of this dynamic and dedicated chorus, please contact Andy Balchin:
or Ali Jack:
to begin the audition process. We'd love to have you join us.